Monday, June 02, 2008

Registration Frustration

I've been trying to get myself registered for fall classes since Friday night. The task is finally complete, but not without a significant amount of frustration on my part. I even had a full blown temper tantrum at one point, and I shoved a huge stack of books onto the floor. Luckily no one other than our dogs was here to witness my childish outburst.

It's been one thing after another. First I couldn't get connected and then when I finally did I discovered that ALL of the sections for the two early childhood education classes I need are CLOSED. And this is a full three months before classes start...it's not like I'm procrastinating! So...fine...I decided to change my schedule to M/W instead of the T/Th set up I've had for the past several years. I was annoyed but I got over it. Still there was no way to make it work. I finally called the department of teacher ed and they said they were opening up some additional classes so I should be OK. Fine, so immediately when I got home after that phone call I jumped online to register. NOPE! The only classes they added were a direct conflict to the one remaining time frame of the co-requisite class I need. So...still no luck. I did everything, I even emailed the instructor and very nicely asked her for an override, which was promptly denied.

So...to make a long story short...I switched back to my T/Th preferred days and re-arranged my entire schedule. I decided to change my fall 2008 classes for my winter 2009 classes. This is not at all what I was expecting, but at least it does work. I shouldn't have nearly as many issues registering for winter classes when that time comes because I'm already in the college of ed and I'm an independent senior so I can register first. This is all just so annoying! How can they possibly think it's OK to only offer two sections of a given class when there are hundreds of people who need to take it each semester?

This coming semester is going to be HECTIC! I've got 16 credit hours, which includes a field experience class that will require me to visit schools on a regular basis. That plus caring for Ava the other three days of the week...my head hurts just thinking about it! But...I have to do what I have to do, and at some point I WILL finish all of these requirements and be able to move on with my life. Someday!

Here's my schedule for fall:

  • Field Experience II for Elementary - Online with field experience
  • Early Literacy Reading - T/R 11:00 am to 12:15 pm
  • Curriculum & Methods for Elementary - T/R 2:00 to 3:15
  • American Government - T/R 3:30 pm to 4:45
  • Schools for a Diverse/Democratic Society - T 5:30 to 8:0 p.m.
  • Educating Students w/ Exceptionalities - R 5:30 to 9:00 p.m.

No comments: