Thursday, May 22, 2008

A Few Words About Weeds

Today I've been feeling sort of...I don't know...blah all day. Finally, at about 7:00 tonight, I got sick enough of my own attitude to go out and do some gardening. Normally weeds are thought of as a bad thing for gardeners. Well...they ARE annoying, but man you can really take out some major frustration on the little buggers too! Seriously, next time you're grumpy, sad, irritated--any negative emotion, go pull some weeds! If you don't have a garden of your own, find a gardener and ask them if they have some weeds you can pull. There's nothing quite like this as an anecdote to irritation! I also did some serious pruning of our dogwood bush. I may have gone too far this time. Gardening is a lot like what I imagine raising children will be like. You really don't know what you're doing so you read a few books, make some educated guesses, try a few things, talk to other gardeners, then you hope/pray you don't screw things up too much in the end! The bush actually looks pretty, it's just MUCH smaller than it was. I think it will grow back but there's always that nervous feeling that it won't this time. Only time will tell.

In other news, I went on a shopping spree at Salvation Army this afternoon. I expect to start subbing next week, which means I need a few decent outfits. Since I'm subbing primarily because we need the money, thrifty shopping was my solution. I did pretty good. I spent $52 and I got three pairs of pants; two tops; a pair of shoes; a sheet set for the twin bed in our guest room; two sets of drinking glasses, 8 large and 6 small for a total of 14 glasses; a heated massage pad for the seat in my car; one outfit for my niece; an old fashioned rocking horse, also for my niece, with the dual purpose of a prop for the studio when I do portraits. Not too shabby if I do say so myself! Me being in school for the past several years has meant that we're generally low on money. This has taught me one thing though, and that is how to be thrifty! My good deals, at least, made me happy today.

I'm done for now.

1 comment:

Duck Hunter said...

wow! You are a great shopper. That is a ton of stuff for that money. If you want to get the weeds that grow in my sidewalk, that would get rid of both of our frustrations.