Thursday, July 17, 2008

Public Insight

I'm an avid NPR listener and one of my favorite programs is "The Story," which airs weekday evenings at 8:00 p.m. here in Michigan. Tonight got out of class a little early and was able to catch the tail end of today's story. When I got home I d I decided to check out the web site, and through that I found the
Without giving it much thought I signed up to be a source for American Public Radio! While I have no idea if I'll actually have anything of value to contribute; this seems like such an innovative idea, and I decided to take a plunge and see what happens. Here's how they explain it on the web site:

What you can expect by becoming a public source:
  • Up to one e-mail a month asking for your insight on issues we plan to cover — you respond only if you have knowledge; otherwise ignore the request
  • An occasional follow-up call or e-mail to get more information, if we follow a lead you provide
  • Confidentiality: We won't quote you on the radio or the Web without your permission
  • An open line for you to tell our radio programs what stories are important to you, your family and your community and help us set our coverage priorities
  • An occasional invitation to public insight meetings we hold in your area
  • No spam, marketing calls, or requests for money — your information is private and is not shared outside of a small circle of public radio journalists
Your help will make public radio coverage stronger:
  • By giving our shows access to first person information and sources, new story ideas, a wider range of perspectives, and information that helps us identify under-covered or emerging issues
  • By broadening our network of sources and strengthening our connections with diverse people around the country
  • By helping us create deeper and more relevant reporting based on a diverse range of sources
Cool beans!

1 comment:

Duck Hunter said...

I don't know that I'm going to do that. but I LOVE NPR! When I work the morning shift, I listen from 6 - 6:30.. and in the afternoon. . .blah, blah. LOVE IT.